Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bring on the Avalanche!!

What a dreary day in Coastal Carolina. I'm listening to Ben Folds and watching the rain hit the window screen, filling in each tiny square with a teeny drop of water. It seems so sad outside and my house has an aura of cold melancholy with the rain and this slow music blaring. It's such a sad setting, but the day is hopeful.
I've realized I talk a big talk of hope and promise and sticking it out in the tough times. I probably make a lot of people sick, and that's why my Facebook page for this blog has yet to reach 100 fans. I still plan to give a prize to someone once I reach that number. And who doesn't want a free prize?!!
Anyway, I do talk a lot about doing better and being better and not giving up. Most of that talk is preachin to the choir because I need to hear it. Being an optimist comes naturally to a lot of people, but it is not natural to me. I can look at a situation, sift through all of its goodness, and only find the dirt. It's easy for me to be rubbed wrong by someone once, and I don't stick around to give them the benefit of a doubt. They are forever branded as horrible to me. I'm constantly learning to give others a chance; give situations a chance. Not everyone is awful. Not every action is going to result in a terrible outcome. That's been a hard lesson to learn, and I'm daily relearning it.
Ok, so here is my hope speech for today. It's so easy, especially on dreary days and in winter months or during the rough times in our lives, to be sad and down and become negative. But our lives are filled with promise. We aren't here to be wet blankets or swim in self pity or bring others down with a negative attitude. We are here, I believe, to build each other up and to overcome trials. We weren't made to constantly suffer. And has anyone else realized that a huge aspect of suffering and pain actually stems from us--how we choose to react or accept things? Weird.

Enough about that. In other news, tutoring is almost over, so I'm semi-looking for another job. I want to do something I like, and I sure don't want to settle. I've had fun tutoring for the most part. My kids are funny, and I will miss them.
Derick is doing well and still enjoying his job. I'm so proud of him and the leader he is. Those young Marines are blessed to have him leading them. I'm a little biased, though;)
I bought new pajamas today, and I am just so excited to put them on tonight. I want to be in them right now. Little pleasures!
Derick and I have started a reading club. We got Kindles for Christmas from his parents, and we're both reading The Hunger Games. I wanted to read the books when I worked at the library, but they were ALWAYS checked out with several holds. I shouldn't have waited this long to finally read them. Since Kelsey will be going to Oregon during the movie release, I am going to force Derick to join me at the midnight release. He will love me for that.
Kelsey and I have been doing Insanity in the mornings, and it's bittersweet. I don't like getting out of bed, period. I don't like exercising in general. But it feels so good to be productive and sweat. It feels good to start my day with a good workout.
That's about it around here. We're just pushing forward, going day by day, and I'm anticipating spring/summer so that I can go to the beach in a bikini. Hopefully Insanity will ensure that I will be appropriate in a bikini. If not, they make some really killer one-pieces these days....I'm still pulling for the bikini. ;)
Well, I have clothes to put away, and when I say clothes, I mean about the same amount of clothes that fills a department store on any given day. Here's a good song that I heard earlier while I was yammering on about hope and positivity. Don't skip it. I promise you will like it...even you, Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment