Monday, February 6, 2012

A bowl of cereal

Well, I wanted to wait until tonight to post a blog about our big announcement. I don't know why because after much thought, I remembered Derick will be home and will probably want to watch TV--not me on the computer.
So, in case you are just now coming around, Derick and I are going to be PARENTS. PARENTS!!! I'm being a little bratty right now because I'm still relishing in this news, but all I can think about is a bowl of cereal.
We found out two weeks ago, and it was confirmed last week that I am, in fact, pregnant, and the due date is September, 18. Bare (or "bear," which one is it?) with me because I'm still clueless about pregnancy and due dates and epidurals and anything babies in general. So I'm just relaying the information that the doctor gave me. If you want the nitty gritty, ask my friend, Kelsey, who has a medical mind and has been instrumental to my maintaining enough sanity to understand what is going on with my body. Last week, I had an ultrasound, which we sent discreetly in a Shutterfly books to our parents as an announcement, and that's a blog post in itself! During the ultrasound, I was able to see the teeny baby and hear his or her teeny but strong heartbeat. How incredible it was!
I can't help but consider the majority of instances in my life a little less important than this little angel I have hanging out with me now. I believe that babies are a beautiful piece of God's magic, and Derick and I have gracious, humble hearts. God has blessed us more than I can even explain; more than I will ever know. We are excited and happy and thankful and scared to death. But we both have some wonderful examples, and I know it's going to be a joy to be parents to this little baby.

Up until about three hours ago, I had long beautiful fingernails, perhaps strengthened by all the crazy powerful hormones in my body, but now they are uneven and crazy. I guess with all of the excitement of sharing the news with our families and everyone else, I chewed and broke 2/3 of my fancy nails.
I also just had to break from blogging to eat that previously-mentioned cereal.
My eating has changed so much. My appetite is weird, and I've been pretty sickish for a couple of weeks. I've determined not to complain about that, though, because I'm so grateful for this baby and this experience. I don't want to sit around whining about how awful it is to be the key to giving someone else life. Because, frankly, it's not awful. It's a miracle.
I do have some funny stories--even this early along--including a nice little narrative about puking in Derick's work parking lot and driving off. I'm sure I will have lots of funny things to tell, questions to ask, and guts to spill! But right now, we're just taking it one day at a time, praying earnestly for a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby!

Thank you all for the congrats and well wishes! This is just the first step to a giant adventure, I know! Please keep us in your prayers! And pray for Paris, too, as she deals with what she calls "Dragon Baby." (Also, the subject for another blog post!)


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I came across your blog through a friend's page and I think I noticed you are stationed at Camp Lejeune. We are too! :) Feel free to add me on Facebook,(if you have it) under Lyndsay Massare Kelly. :)

    ReplyDelete