Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Boom badoom boom basssss

I guess everyone saw the pics of Reeve's nursery on FB. I got a lot of really sweet comments, and I have to add that I couldn't have made it look so nice without the help from my family and friends. I'm so grateful for all the sweet people in our lives. Now all we need to make his nursery complete is his little self to make an appearance, BUT I'm not rushing him:) He needs to just hang out where he is a little longer and come when he wants. 
Derick left for work a little before seven this morning (I think), and I had to get out of bed to put Paris back in bed. It's a weird issue to explain, but it happens every morning, pretty much. So once we were both back in bed, I decided I'd just rest my eyes for a few minutes then get up and start on the house work. Around 9:30, I woke up and looked at the clock and nearly freaked out! I didn't realize I was asleep, and it was super weird to just wake up nearly three hours later. So, after a late start on the day, I've fed and walked the dog and the husband (ok, I just fed him, but it would be nice had he taken a walk with us), cleaned the kitchen and the floors, and now I'm trying to muster the energy to make the bed and put clothes away. I so hate laundry. I know everyone does, and I really think a smart invention would be a washer/dryer in one. The fold option isn't necessary because most of the time I don't even fold it until I'm in the process of putting it all away. But, dang it, it would be nice to not have to practically crawl into the washer to get the clothes out. Life is just so hard, I know.
I'm kinda weird with music, as most of you already know, and the further I get in this pregnancy, the less tolerant I've become of music. Even music that I love. It doesn't get on my nerves or anything, it just makes me super emotional and a lot of times sad, so I've stopped being such an avid listener. WEIRD, I know. I haven't had an emotional pregnancy at all, compared to most I've heard about, so I guess my nature just tells me to block out things that cause an emotional flood. It'd be nice if that's always been in my nature. 
Anyway, I of course haven't shut out music altogether. I can't do that. My dad can. He could go years without the desire to hear one song. My dad is something else. Today, I started listening to my old friend Joshua Radin on Pandora, and I just wasn't feeling it. Have you heard his music YET? I've been raving for a while. I guess that's because during a pretty rough patch last year, his music was a comfort. Today, though, I just wasn't in the mood for ultra mellow singer/songwriter tunes. Thus, I started listening to 90s Pop. I've never really let go of that genre of music. While a lot of people I knew seemed to follow the trend of popular music, I always kinda stuck with the 90s. I still listen to Hanson to this day. Duh. 
90s kids, we were truly blessed with the best music. Aside from Hanson, so many great bands and musicians shared their goodness with the world during those years. Maybe I feel that way because every one of these dang Pandora songs bring me back to very specific moments in my life. Derick makes fun of me because of my peculiar memory. I can remember an exact outfit from 15 years ago, at a specific place, at a specific time. I can remember what I had for lunch on certain, unimportant days in junior high. I can remember what each grade smelled like. 8th grade, for example, was Gummy Bears perfume and Clinique foundation. But ask me to remember what the insurance lady on the phone just told me two seconds ago regarding an important aspect of our coverage, and I'm clueless. 
I think music is a good reminder that our lives aren't really as bad as they seem. My teenage years, at the time, were poop, but looking back and hearing Third Eye Blind and Smashing Pumpkins, they were some of the coolest days of my life. Even memories of more recent years that seemed pretty black are a little more illuminated when there's a song on by The Kooks. 
I won't retrace my footsteps and get all music-snooty. We all have our preferences, and that's respectable. But I just look at the tender, teenage generation of today and wanna say, "bless your hearts," because instead of Bush, Backstreet Boys, and Semi Sonic, they get Nicki Minaj and someone named "Weezy?" Haha. To each his own, but you're welcome, Nathan Smith. You're one of the lucky ones with a cool aunt who recognizes and introduced you to good music.
 I just went through and deleted a very hilarious, self-constructed lyric comparison between Nicki Minaj and Britney Spears, for fear that a Nicki fan (or Nicki herself) might happen upon this blog and opt to kill me. Maybe next time! Happy Wed! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and let me just add, for the record, that there are fantastic artists these days. 90s music is absolutely not the only good music there is. The fun thing about music is that you get to pick and choose, and I've taught my nephew, Nathan, to choose the right music;) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I really like Sean Kingston :) the end.

    ReplyDelete