Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Big Bundle of Joy

Wow. It's been a while since my last post. A lot has gone on, and today we got the Internet, so I'm able to finally post a new blog. I know you are all itching with excitement.
Derick is in our spare bedroom (oh yeah, we have a spare bedroom, actually two, so woweee!) fancying up his uniforms for tomorrow. He officially checks in to Camp Lejeune tomorrow, but we aren't sure if he will be assigned an actual unit or if he will have to wait until later on in his MOS school, which is logistics for those of you just now catching up to speed.
I must say that. thus far, I love North Carolina. Not a big surprise to those of you who really know me. I LOVE the ocean! I've always felt drawn to the shore and, I'm sorry, but Arkansas doesn't have the type of beaches I love. I love the smell of salty air and knowing that our house is only 20 minutes from my favorite place in the world. We've really had fun at the beach this past week. Yesterday, the sky was quite overcast, but we swam in the ocean anyway. The waves were crazy monsters, and I have an attractive scrape on my forearm to prove it. Today, the water was much more calm, but Derick has a pretty bad sunburn and has to fit his arms into some tight-rolled cami sleeves tomorrow. Ouch. It doesn't matter how much sunblock I lather on him, he still burns.
We bought a lawnmower today, and it's already been a big bundle of joy. Who knew the cheapest lawnmower on display would be the most difficultly stupid thing to assemble?! Really, Weedeater, can you get anymore complicated?
As we sat in our driveway (yes, we have a driveway, too!) trying to put together the most confusing piece of equipment tonight, our neighbor came over to introduce himself. I met his wife the day we moved in, and she seems really nice. He was nice, too, but thought it was funny/strange that I plan to mow the yard tomorrow. Derick got me started on the front yard, and after one trip around said, "Ok. I will finish it up if you go cook." So I went to the kitchen, where a good wife belongs. (No offense to all you feminists out there. 'Twas but a joke.)
We also got a new couch today, and it's really nice! We've never had a brand spankin' new couch before, so it's a true treat! I'm so ready to begin decorating everything! That's one interest that Derick and I do not share. However, he has done a terrific job organizing his closet (we also have our own personal closets!). Maybe he will organize mine! Please.
Next on our list of purchases is a vehicle for Derick. I would say that he could use mine (and he can), but today he finally put on my "I <3 My Marine" license plate frame, so I'm not sure how long he will want to drive the Kia around with that on the back. One vehicle was ideal in Virginia. I'd get up extra early and take him to work everyday, and I would have the car all day to run my "very important errands." It's a little different here, though, because Derick's school is quite far away, and he surely won't want to wait for me to sit through all the traffic to come pick him up at the end of the day. Plus, once he joins his unit, who knows what his hours will be like, so having two cars is just a duh. I'm begging him to get a slug bug, but I don't think it's working.
Right now, I'm trying to think of some sort of funny or embarrassing story to share, but I've really been stable these past few days. The six hour drive from Stafford, Virginia to Jacksonville, North Carolina was quite a breeze...until we actually reached Jacksonville. Traffic here was (for my VA friends) like I-95 North combined with Onville at 0715. Ok, maybe not that bad, but it was pretty nutty that day. Plus, I was really hungry, and y'all know how I get when I need a snack!
I really love our little neighborhood. Everyone seems so nice, and it's really quiet here. I love our little house, too. We've never lived [alone] in a house together before. We've never had so much space or a yard all to ourselves or our own trampoline! :) I keep thinking that someone is going to take it away from us. Isn't that kinda sad? It hasn't set in that this is where we live, this is what we are doing, and this is what we have. God has truly blessed us, and I'm so grateful for what He has given us. I'm overwhelmed with His graciousness.
One thing that we do lack in our new house is a pantry. Keep reading before you judge my selfishness. In our apartment, we had a nice little closet, where I kept our trash can. Paris was only able to explore in there when I (or Derick, usually) left the door open. Now that the trash is out in the open, Paris is mesmerized with it. She whines and paws at it, probably thinking, "maybe if I do this enough, Mama will just turn this thing over and let me dig in!" No, girl.
Well, with that, you should be semi-caught up with what's going on in our lives. I know Derick is anxious to begin his school later this month and even more anxious to get into the fleet with his Marines. Right now, I like that I can just take it one day at a time and enjoy our blessings, big and small. I am so proud of Derick and all that he accomplishes. I'm sure you are, too! Good night!

Here's to Weedeater and their rocket science product assembly!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kem you had me there for a minute. I thought you were going to announce that you and Derick were expecting. I am so glad to hear that you and Derick are happy.

    Love
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete