Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sunroof

This morning, I rolled out of bed at 0815 to get ready for the gym. I'd been half-sleeping since around 0530, when Derick left. I had really weird dreams, plus Paris was hogging the bed. It's so peculiar how such a little dog can take up so much space. Anyway, I got dressed in my new spandex workout shorts, threw my frizzy hair in a pony, let Paris out and fed her, and I started out the door. As soon as I sat down in my seat, I knew something was wrong. My butt was wet. I looked around, and the cup holders were full of water. That was weird. I checked to see if there were any broken or cracked windows, lastly thinking to look up at the sunroof--which was wide open. It rained yesterday.
So I ran inside, grabbed a couple of towels and drove all the way to meet my friends on base with the windows down, causing my already frizzy hair to pretty much become an afro.
Luckily, my friend Kelsey had some Febreeze, and I left my sunroof open while we were at the gym and running errands to let the car air out. It's parked in my driveway now, still airing out.
I've always had a hard time with sunroofs. When I was in high school, my first car was a teal Saturn with a sunroof that only opened if Dad manually cranked it back. So when I had it open, it did not close unless he closed it with his magical touch. If it were raining and the sunroof was open, I'd park under the carport at home. I usually didn't keep it open, though, because it was so dadgum difficult to close.
One sunny day, my friend and I were in Jonesboro riding around with my sunroof open. We went into Burger King for lunch and when we came out, it was pouring rain. The two of us were so smart (and unwilling to go home) that we grabbed a trash bag from my backseat and taped it up to cover the hole in the roof. I don't really know why I had a trash bag and tape in my car. We continued to drive around, and our ingenious plan seemed to pay off...until we pulled into a Sonic stall, and the trash bag had reached it's limit. Water came flooding on top of us and all over my car! Why did we think a trash bag would work the same as an actual glass window?


Funny things happen to me. Always.

1 comment:

  1. after cruising around town with the top off the jeep, I accidently fell asleep yesterday afternoon... woke up and it was pouring. My jeep is also completely soaked! Where the heck did that rain come from!

    ReplyDelete