Wednesday, August 3, 2011

If literary folks ran the business world

Way back in the good ole days of TBS, Derick and his platoon decided to spend SPC day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA. They stayed in Springhill Suites by Marriot, and Derick, being the platoon treasurer, paid for eight rooms on our credit card. We are high rollers. Actually, no. Of course the platoon paid Derick back.
So, two nights ago, Derick checks the bank account to find that $102 and some change was deducted from Springhill Suites and after further investigation, he realized it was the same hotel the platoon stayed in during the one fun day of TBS. He told me to remind him to check the account the next day because maybe that was just a glitch in the system.
Of course, the problem wasn't resolved. The problem is NEVER resolved. So Derick called our bank last night to see what we needed to do. Our bank, USAA, is really great. They are more than helpful in any situation, and they are always extremely polite. They love their service members! Last night, Springhill Suites and Marriot only showed disrespect and stupidity.
Firstly, let me say that, once again, I'm not trying to be a complainer, but these issues seem to attach themselves to me. I hate dealing with money, numbers, business, phone tact, thus, I studied English. However, I feel like people who do actually work in an environment that pulsates because of money and customer service should have some sort of understanding about how to a.) solve problems that they made and b.) speak to people in a polite manner.
Next, let me say that we have been in North Carolina for a month. That means, we haven't been to Virginia in a month. Which also means we weren't there this weekend. Just making sure everyone understands the issue at hand.
Back to my complaining.
Derick called the hotel and spoke with a receptionist, who was completely clueless. (Hey Bitsy, if you need a job, I'm sure you could work at Springhill Suites!) Ok, that was rude and childish. But this girl didn't have any idea how to look up any sort of information that dealt with this problem. She said, "Ok, well it doesn't look like you have made a reservation."
NO DUH!
She went on to say that she would have someone who could help call us within the hour. When Derick asked for the number to a corporate office, she "didn't know" and "couldn't find it." Laughable.
When that promised call surprisingly never came, Derick called back and the same receptionist answered and transferred him to said "helpful" person, who said she'd never heard of us or our issue, nor did she know how to address it. The receptionist transferred him to another hotel, under the same management, where the call went straight to voicemail.
Fed up, Derick googled "Springhill Suites Marriot" and magically found the number for corporate customer service, who transferred him for about an hour, hung up on him, questioned his integrity, and pretty much told him he was SOL.
THESE PEOPLE STOLE OUR MONEY!!! Am I the only one seeing something wrong with taking money out of an account without authorization, not to mention being given the run around and treated as if it isn't a problem at all!?
Derick finally spoke with someone who seemed to have passed the fifth grade, but she couldn't help. She said he would have to call the actual hotel between 8-5, during which time Derick WORKS! She asked why I couldn't call.
They really did not want me to call. Really.

BUT, I did. I called this morning at 10, and spoke with someone who put on a really good act, but frankly knew nothing. She told me that "it seems that the money was rebated to us on June 30 by *Melissa*." (*Names have been changed to protect the MORONS*).
Ok, rebated?? Do you mean refunded? Also, who is Melissa? She spoke of Melissa as if we were BFFs. I hung up, praying that she was correct in that our money was rebated. Or refunded. Or redistributed. Or repaved. Repainted. You get the pic.
After thinking a little bit, which is a really good idea for the people I've been dealing with, I began to wonder how our money was rebated back on the 30th, when it wasn't even drafted out until the 31st?
I called back, and she got a little snippy with me saying, "Ok, you need to talk to a General Manager."
Really? I had no idea.
Well, Melissa wasn't there. Ah! Melissa! She was at the other local hotel, so I was transferred and spoke with a girl named *Julie*, who transferred me straight to voicemail. So I went through the entire process of calling the first hotel again and being transferred to Julie. When I told her that she just transferred me and it went straight to voicemail, she said, "Ok. This is the first time I've picked up the phone, but I will transfer you again."
Don't EVEN get me started on your phone tact and customer service. DO NOT call me a LIAR when you are stealing money out of my bank account.
The phone rang and rang and Julie picked back up to tell me the manager was in a conference call. "Would you like to leave a message?"
Melissa is apparently a deep voiced man.
Anyway, I left a snotty voicemail, and never received a call back. So, I called again four hours later and spoke with deep voice.


When Derick paid for the hotel rooms back in June, he used his card but put it under his SPC's name. For my fellow civilian friends, SPC= BOSS. According to male Melissa, Derick's SPC visited Williamsburg, perhaps Busch Gardens?, this weekend and just booked a room on his already-set-up account, which automatically charged it to our card.
This doesn't make sense because practically in one breath, the guy told me that in order for a card to be charged by them the card actually has to be swiped. The he went on to say that the card was charged because they just charged the card on the rewards account. Doesn't it seem suspicious that the two names don't match?
And anyway, with all the ridiculous things we've been told and the excuses that have been made and the dead ends we've come upon, that may not have been the case at all. If it is the case, it's in no way the SPC's fault. It's 100% Springhill Suites fault because that is a sloppy way of running their system and their business, but what do I know about business? I studied English.




I really wanted to end the post there. With that dramatic, slightly snide remark that, in a way, toots my own horn and draws you, the reader, back to an earlier made point. I learned how to do that in English class, go figure.
BUT
I have a kind heart. Deep down under my backwoods country no-nonsense attitude that I tend to address toward ridiculous people and their ridiculous actions, I have a really sweet soul that can't end a blog post with hate.
I don't hate Marriot or Springhill Suites or Julie or deep voice Melissa. I just hate being treated like a fool. I hate when people think it's more important to update a Facebook page than help a customer. I hate when my husband and I are being transferred and hung up on and talked to like we are in the wrong when we are not.
I will not stay at that nice hotel that I have never had to read a rating about because I know it's good quality. It may be good quality, but I have received better customer service at McDonald's. Sorry, McDonald's, you always seem to get attacked. (BTW, we have yet to have our money refunded.) What if we needed to pay a bill? What if we overdrafted because of their mistake?
Anyway, through all of this nonsense, I have learned a valuable lesson. If someone needs help, help them. Don't throw something off onto someone else, because that someone else could very likely be a moron who, in Arkansas, "doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground." If you are equipped with the means and abilities to be helpful, offer your hand and lead them along the way. Don't transfer the call, don't update your Facebook page, and sure as heck, don't hang up on them. Talk to people with respect and tact because you never know who that person is. You may need that person in the future, and what if they strongly believe in eye for an eye? Luckily, Julie in Williamsburg, in this household, we don't believe in that.
Also, once upon a time at the Raggedy Ann Day Care in Bay, Arkansas, my peers and I learned a little side note that could come in handy for big professional corporations like Marriot. If you take something that doesn't belong to you, give it back to its rightful owner.

Derick just got home and hopped right back on the phone with the hotel. He's so calm, polite, forgiving, understanding, patient. He's everything I'm not. But sometimes, in really crazy moments like today, when you're at the very bottom of a giant pool of poop and you're not getting anywhere with anyone, sometimes, a little tongue-lashing attitude goes a long way....or maybe not so much. But leaving that nasty voicemail made me feel better! And so did writing this blog.

Now y'all go out there and be helpful! And choose Holiday Inn;)

1 comment:

  1. Gee, lol! understand totally... So you still haven't got the money back? I would be calling the corporate office I did find the direct line for you to their corporate office in MA. (781)537-5204 I would be calling and escalating up to the highest person I could get... Use some female "crocodile" tears and that usually wins over... Love ya!

    ReplyDelete