Monday, August 1, 2011

Sharing a Toothbrush and Jump-Whimpering

Derick uses a hot pink toothbrush!

We got a new set of toothbrushes this weekend. (We always buy the two-pack, isn't that cute?) I had opened the pack and put the toothbrushes in their holder and returned later to brush my teeth. Not thinking, I grabbed the lime green one because the toothbrush I had just thrown away was green. I realized this and told Derick, "you have to use the pink one!"
"Uhh. No I don't," He said.
Yes he does.
The reason we bought new toothbrushes, other than we just needed them, was because, last week, we went to Wilmington to eat at Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn. (Try it!) Unthinking, I ordered the Flaming Amy, only to find out it was the hottest thing ever! It was filled with all sorts of peppers and a special Flaming hot sauce. I could only finish half of it because it was so hot!
Later that night, I noticed a small bump on my gums and slightly remembered stabbing myself with a chip at the restaurant. I guess the spiciness caused a reaction because the next day, that area of my gums was swollen and hurting really bad. It hurt every time I brushed, and I assumed it was somewhat infected, so I decided I needed a new brush.
Derick and I have shared toothbrushes before, and there was a time when we were, not so much poor as just too busy to buy another one, so we'd just use the same one for a bit. But this time, even though I only used the lime green brush once, I didn't want to share my Flaming Amy gum infection with him.
So Derick uses a hot pink toothbrush.

[Here's Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn site: http://flamingamysburritobarn.com
Across town, there is Flaming Amy's Bowl. We haven't been there, but I'm assuming you order a bowl of similar burrito fillings.]

Oh! I signed up for a LINKS class for this week. For those of you who don't know
, LINKS is sort of an orientation for people who are new to the Marine Corps. I went to a LINKS session in Quantico, but they suggested to go to a new one every time you PCS to a new duty station. I'm hoping to meet some friends there! Plus, this base is so huge and, unlike in Quantico, I haven't been able to drive around it myself yet, so I bet they can offer good information on what's where. I think it's super beneficial to attend a LINKS session--even if you know everything about the Marine Corps.

Today I am "supposed" to be cleaning the house. I want to post some pics on Facebook, since we've lived here for a month, and I know my family has been patiently waiting to see it! Our new bedroom furniture was delivered and set up on Friday. It looks so nice! We have a ton of storage space now! My goal is to have pictures up either today or tomorrow.
Paris has a hard time jumping up on the bed. She will jump up as high as she can, peep over the side of the bed while she's airborne, and whimper. She's discovered if she does that enough, we will help her up. It makes me nervous when she jumps off, though. The bed is so high that when she jumps down, the momentum sends her running forward! I am trying to convince Derick that she needs one of those little staircases to put by the bed. I know he thinks buying that for her makes it seem like she's the princess and that is her golden staircase to her royal throne, or something like that. But she is the princess, right?! Jumping off things like that can cause hip/back problems, especially in little dogs.
I know a lot of you are thinking it's stupid to let the dog sleep on our bed anyway. That's my fault. When we first got Paris, she was a teeny tiny itsy bitsy baby girl. Just a small puff of fur. We bought her a little kennel and put it out in the hallway. On her first night, we put her in the kennel and went to bed. Minutes later, she was whimpering and crying and scratching at the door. I couldn't sleep while she was doing that! So I thought maybe if we made a pallet in the floor, just for her first night, she would see us and know she wasn't alone.
We tried that and she cried more and more. So, I thought maybe we could just let her sleep on the pallet with us, just for one night. So we got her out of her little crate and put her at our feet in the pallet.
The floor was uncomfortable and our hallway was small, so we figured we might as well just get into the bed. So we put tiny Paris at the foot of the bed, where she slept soundly, completely content.
We woke up the next morning with her right between us.
She still sleeps on the foot of our bed, and once every few weeks we will wake up with her right beside us. It doesn't bother us, and I honestly don't really want her prowling around the house all night. If my parents were here, she'd be at the foot of their bed, hands down. She is a Momo and Popo's girl. They win over us every time.
When we lived with my parents, Mom would come tuck Paris in with us every night. After she was certain we were asleep, she would sneak into my parents' room and jump/whimper at their bed like she does here. Their bed is extremely high, so there was no way for her to get up without help. If she was really really lucky, my mom would pick her up and let her sleep in their bed. But usually, Mom would have to carry her back to our room and shut her in.
Poor Paris. She never gets her way.

Well, I hope everyone has a nice week! I will try to put house pictures up soon!




3 comments:

  1. Kem we love you, but we assume when something has "flaming" in the name it is usually going to be hot or at least a little warmer than usual... LOL! I am waiting for pics of the new bedroom suite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pink toothbrush story! That is so perfect and funny! I would however, LOVE to see a photo of him and his new toothbrush :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. I love it. Derrick is a good sport. Glad you are doing so well in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete